LAMB WITH EGGPLANT AND OLIVES
FOR 4 PEOPLE
PREP TIME: 40 MINUTES
- 1 large eggplant
- coarse salt
- 4 large lamb chops or 8 smaller ones
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp AENAON olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 16 black olives, pitted and chopped
- pinch of sugar
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley or basil
- Cut the eggplant in cubes. Put them in a colander and sprinkle with coarse salt to leach out their bitterness.
After about 20-30 minutes, rinse with plenty of cold water.
- Season the lamb chops with freshly ground black pepper.
- Brush the grill with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and grill or broil the chops over (or under) medium heat for 7-8 minutes to a side. Set aside in a warm place.
- Finely chop the garlic and onion. Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and saute the eggplant cubes, onion, and garlic for a few minutes.
- As soon as they begin to color, add the chopped tomato with its juices, the olives, sugar, and more salt and pepper if desired. Boil gently over low heat for about 8-10 minutes or until the eggplant is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the lamb chops covered with plenty of eggplant sauce and with Red wine.