Chickpea Soup from Sifnos
FOR 6 PEOPLE
PREP TIME: 3 HOURS 30 MINUTES
NOT INCLUDING SOAKING TIME
450 g chickpeas
3 medium potatoes
120 ml olive oil
fresh dill or rosemary
• Soak the chickpeas overnight in plenty of cold water.
(To save time, cover the chickpeas with plenty of water,
bring to a boil, remove from the heat, and cover. Let stand
for an hour or two and proceed with the recipe.)
• The next day peel and cut the potatoes into dice. Peel the
onions and chop them finely.
• Put the chickpeas, onions, potatoes, olive oil, and dill or
rosemary in a large pot and pour in enough water to
cover the vegetables by about 8 cm. Bring to the boil,
then lower the heat and simmer for 1-2 hours until the
chickpeas are tender.
• Season with salt and pepper and simmer for another hour
or so, until the chickpeas are very soft and the soup has
become thick and creamy.
• Serve accompanied by chunks of freshly baked bread.